- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until mixture is the size of peas. Add the egg and milk; mix well. Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Cut into squares and top with strawberries and whipped cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forHomemade Strawberry Shortcake
"Imagine cornbread. But even more dry and super bitter. That was awful and a disappointment for family dinner"
"I totally agree with several of the other reviewers. Its very light and Fluffy. I detected slight yellow cake taste to mine * I did add a tsp of Vanilla. Another Plus. No Beaters its all done by hand * Just choose your Fruit. I am going to try Fresh peaches when they come into season *JanieTaste Of Home FE Volunteer"
"Very good recipe but the following changes made it lighter and more to our taste:Used unsalted butter, 3 tsp baking powder, 2 eggs and 2 and 1/2 tbls sugar. Yum!"
"We hated it! It was too salty and very bland. We threw it away. Gross!"
"This is just like my grandfather's favorite. I will make this again. Oh yea! MMMM!"