W. Florence Johns gives a mild Creole flavor to convenient cooked shrimp in this skillet supper that has been part of her recipe collection for years. "It's quick and very good," promises the Houston, Texas cook.
Recommended: 27 Easy Shrimp Recipes for Weeknight Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound frozen peeled cooked small shrimp, thawed
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper, celery and garlic in oil for 6 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, chili powder, sugar and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add shrimp; cook and stir until heated through. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Shrimp Creole in Quick Cooking March/April 2005, p42