- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/4 pound bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin, nutmeg and pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork, bacon, onions, celery and carrots over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine; cook for 4-5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, bay leaves, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves. Add the cream, butter and parsley; cook 2 minutes longer. Sir in cheese. Yield: 10 servings (7-1/2 cups).
Reviews forHomemade Ragu Bolognese
"Very good. I did omit the bacon and whipping cream, because I didn't have any on hand but it didn't lose any flavor to me. I also used stock, instead of wine. I'll make this again!"
"I've been making this recipe since I first saw it published. I only tried it with the red wine once and didn't care for it but I'm not a red wine drinker. I make it in double batches so I can freeze or can it to have later It's amazing"
"I halfed the recipe (just wife & I). Used petite diced tomatoes (15 oz); could not find crushed in that size. I used wine. Served with warm garlic bread. Excellent flavor."
"YUM! We left the bacon out since we didn't have any on hand, and I don't even think it's necessary. Also doubled the oregano since we had no thyme. So delicious! We served with Sweet Spinach salad, also in the recipe finder.~ Theresa"
"I LOVE this recipe, and have made it many times now. It is rich and meaty and has many "layers of flavor". I have found that it freezes well too, so I usually make a double batch. Enjoy. :)"
"THis is wonderful!! Everyone that tastes it loves it too!! Thank you!"
"I made this twice so far for dinner guests and everyone raved about it. Easily feeds 4-6 people and you'll still have leftovers for another meal. A new favorite in my recipe box - thanks for an excellent homemade recipe!"
"I have always wanted to make a homeade sauce and so I tried this one as my first and my whole family loved it. Very good - can't wait to make spaghetti for supper again!! Thank You!"