Homemade Potato Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 5 large potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, mustard and salt. Combine the egg, water and vinegar; stir into dry ingredients until smooth. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in mayonnaise.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, celery, onions, salt and pepper. Add dressing; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 314 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Jul 31, 2013
The title of the recipe says it all: This is a version of the potato salad I remember eating as a child. I like the addition of the hard-cooked eggs, although you could leave them out, and the salad would taste just as good. If you like a creamier potato salad, you can increase the amount of mayonnaise used to 1 cup.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.