Our friends and family love this recipe. It's easy to make ahead of time and can be frozen. This is especially nice during particularly busy times of the year.—Brenda Cooper, Edna, Kansas
Recommended: 50 Great Ways to Make Lasagna
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jar (24 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained or 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, optional
- 1/2 cup sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Stir in the picante sauce, beans, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg. Spread one-third of meat mixture in one 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish or two 8-in. square baking dishes. Top with half of Monterey Jack cheese, half of cottage cheese mixture and six tortillas (tear tortillas if necessary to cover cheese more completely). Repeat layers, ending with meat. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Let stand a few minutes before serving. Garnish with green onions and serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Lasagna in Country Ground Beef 1993, p85
Reviews forHomemade Mexican Lasagna
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2009
"This is a very easy dish to make. My children love the different take on lasagna.:)"