VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, quartered
- In a bowl, combine flour and confectioners' sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pat into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool.
- In a bowl, combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Fold in nuts, coconut and cherries; spread over crust. Bake at 375° for 17-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool before cutting. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Merry Cherry Bars in Country Woman November/December 1998, p35