Homemade Marinated Shrimp
It figures that this colorful and carefree dish is a favorite with Margaret McGehee's family. "The recipe evolved from adding and subtracting ingredients until everyone liked the results," reports the Knoxville, Tennessee reader.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 min. + chilling
- 2 quarts water
- 3 small onions, sliced, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2-1/2 pounds uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 to 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- In a large kettle, combine water, 1 onion, garlic, bay leaf and 1 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer for 5-7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain immediately; rinse in cold water. Place in a large glass or plastic bowl with remaining onions. In a small bowl, combine ketchup, vinegar, oil, chives, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, curry powder and remaining salt. Pour over shrimp. Cover and chill for 6 hours or overnight. Drain before serving.
Originally published as Marinated Shrimp in Crafting Traditions January/February 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.