- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrot, onion, celery, garlic and ginger in oil until crisp-tender. Add lentils and barley; cook 3 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, broth and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add soy sauce; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until lentils and barley are tender. Yield: 3 cups.
Reviews forHomemade Lentil Barley Stew
"We love it! I'ts spicy and so tasty. We like it with sour cream stirred in. Doubling it is a must for left-overs! My husband is a 'meat-etarian' but enjoys this dish."
"We love it. But next time I would double it so we have left-overs for lunch the next day! :) Great recipe and the ginger is excellent in it!!"
"It's so nice to find recipes for 2, so you don't have a ton of leftovers in the frig, but mine turned out very spicy! I used the store brand tomatoes with green chilies, and they certainly weren't mild! Still, it had good flavor. I just read cookswife81's review, and I'm definitely going to squeeze some lime juice on the leftover bowl."
"This was so good!"
"Super! will make again and again."
"This is my kind of food. I did not have cumin on hand, so i used chili powder. I will make it again, my husband loved it"
"Very delicious; however the sodium is a bit extreme, the use of low-sodium soy sauce is a moot point when your using other ingredients that aren't low sodium. I might suggest, low sodium ingredients where possible and splash in lime juice to taste. I made this recipe as stated but also splashed on lime juice to taste in individual servings."