- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- Orange zest strips (1 to 3 inches), optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat flour, butter and confectioners' sugar until blended. Press onto bottom of an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For topping, in a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice, extract, baking powder and salt until frothy; pour over hot crust.
- Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Cool completely in dish on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. If desired, sprinkle with orange zest strips. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forHomemade Lemon Bars
"EXCELLENT dessert. I USE A BOX cake MIX - BUTTER PECAN cake MIX - IF YOU CAN FIND IT. I USE 2 STICKS OF BUTTER SOFTENED (1 CUP) AND OMIT THE POWDERED SUGAR. I USE A 9 X 13 X 2 cake PAN. I DOUBLE THE FILLING INGREDIENTS. EXCEPT FOR THE SUGAR, I ONLY USE 1 1/2 CUPS OF SUGAR AND PROCEED WITH THE REST OF THE DIRECTIONS. I DO bake MY WITH THE FILLING ON TOP FOR 20 - 30 MINUTES.THIS IS AN EXCELLENT RECIPE"
"These bars are almost exactly like the recipe for the Lemon Love Notes recipe I've had for years, and which I think is perfect. The differences - I use a whole stick of butter in the crust, just a dash of salt, and 2 teaspoons of grated lemon rind in the filling instead of lemon extract.....much better than artificial lemon flavoring. I bake the crust for about ten minutes at 350 degrees, then pour the filling over the crust and bake for twenty five minutes. I don't use any orange rind. The crust is flaky and buttery and the topping is delicious. So good!"
"These turned out really good but I think the crust needs something.I might try the crust that I use for the Chess Squares next time.The filling was not too sweet not too tart."
"I've made these several times this summer ! Wonderful! I do prefer fresh squeezed lemon juice!"
"These are so easy to make and disappear quickly."
"Amazingly easy and very tasty. My family thoroughly enjoyed them."
"Very good. Loved the crunchy crust. Could have used more butter in crust. Also I added lemon rind. Can't wait to do it again."
"Very very hoid"
"This recipe required an adjustment. I noticed that the crust of the lemon bars did not gel with only 1\3 cup butter. I used 2\3 cup butter, and the bottom crust gelled. Otherwise, the recipe works out well.These bars have a mild flavor."
"Have made these twice. The first time I followed the directions and did NOT grease the pan, and they stuck like crazy.The second time, I sprayed the 8x8 baking pan and then followed the directions, except I added 4 Tblsp of lemon juice AND the zest of a lemon, baked them for 25 minutes, they turned out wonderful, and they did not stick."