Homemade Lavender Ice Cream
Lavender is easily found at any health food stores, farm markets or grown in your own garden. It makes a wonderfully tasty ice cream.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dried lavender flowers
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, honey and lavender. Bring to a gentle boil. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Strain, reserving the milk; discard lavender. In a bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon-colored, about 4 minutes. Return milk to the saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add a small amount of milk to eggs; return all to pan. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon and reaches 160°, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cream.
- Set saucepan in ice and stir mixture for 5-10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to freeze, pour milk mixture into the cylinder of an ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.