Homemade Ladybug Cookies Recipe
The spotlight shines on these confections every time Sharon Kotsovos serves them. "The sugar cookies themselves are so yummy," she attests from Coos Bay, Oregon. "But they're even better when I decorate them."
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Red and black liquid food coloring
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup vanilla chips or white chips
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter, oil and sugars. Add two eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, cream of tartar and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. round cookie cuter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. In a bowl, beat the remaining eggs. Add red food coloring; mix well. Brush over cutouts. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven. With a small new paintbrush and black food coloring, paint two lines, forming wings.
- 3. Arrange four chocolate chips in a half circle on the top third of each cookie. Randomly place 16 chocolate chips on the lower part of the cookie for spots. Return to the oven for 1 minute or until chips are melted. Spread the four chips to form the head.
- 4. For eyes, position two white chips, pointed side down, over melted chocolate. Return to the oven for 1 minutes or until slightly melted. Place one miniature chocolate chip in the center of each white chip. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: about 5 dozen, 30 servings, 2 per serving.
2 each: 311 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Ladybug Cookies
Reviewed Jan. 15, 2010
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC