Homemade Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 pound fully cooked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 pound fresh or frozen uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute sausage for 1 minute. Add chicken; saute 2 minutes longer. Add the celery, onion, green pepper and garlic; saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir to fluff the rice. let stand for 5 minutes to absorb any remaining liquid before serving. Yield: 8 servings
1 each: 464 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 1161mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Jambalaya
"I substituted a few things according to what I had at the house, instead of cayenne and regular tomatoes, I used a can of rotel and corn. I also cooked the rice by itself with the juice from the rotel, the W sauce, an extra cup of water, and all the seasonings. After the rice was cooked then I added it after the meats and vegetables were cooked together. It was delicious. A little mild which is perfect for kids, but I'll probably use an extra can of rotel next time for me and hubby. Delicious."
"Delicious!!! I didn't have parsley, substituted cilantro instead. Also added some corn. Only used chicken and sausage, as our daughter can't eat fish. It was very good!!! Gonna add some shrimp on side for hubby next time :-)Beware of the heat, I used less then 1/4 tsp of cayenne and it was HOT!!! I ended up dumping out some of the liquid, that really helped!Next time I am going to make some corn bread with it! This is a keeper in our family!"
"Very yummy. Disappeared very quickly. Will definitely make thus again."
"I am giving this a 5 for the flavor. It was simple to put together. I made it as directed and with Kielbasa. My problem was the rice. I did just use plain white and it didn't cook well. So for that part my review would be a 3. I will still make again and try a different brand of rice. The recipe is a keeper!"
"excellent, I didn't have the tomato, and added cheese!"
"I too made this with ham instead of chicken and did not put in cayenne due to my young children. Yummy!"
"This tasted so good, I made mine without the chicken breast and added chopped ham. Definiately going to make again!!"
"EXCELLENT Recipe!!!Note: Be SURE to use your typical cheap white rice. I used fancy stuff the first time which took too long to cook and the veggies turned to mush. Otherwise delicious and I can't wait to make it again!"
"This was an excellent recipe that turned out perfect the first time. Too bad my teams didn't win during March Madness when I made it."