Perfect for the summer grilling season, this flavorful and hearty Italian sausage sandwich will be a picnic favorite for sure! —Mariela Petroski, Helena, Montana
Recommended: 50 Recipes for Homemade State Fair Food
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1 bottle (14.9 ounces) dark beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 cups julienned green peppers
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 brat buns, split
- 6 slices provolone cheese, halved
- Place sausages in a large saucepan; add beer. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute green peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Drain and discard beer. Grill sausages, covered, over direct medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Serve on buns with green pepper mixture and cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious July/August 2009, p54
Reviews forHomemade Italian Sausage Sandwiches
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 13, 2012
"Tastes just like the ones you get on the Jersey Boardwalk! Delicious & messy!"