Homemade Italian Sausage Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink, drain. Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes and Italian seasoning; cook 10 minutes longer.
- Add the broth, beans, water, wine or additional broth, macaroni, tomato sauce and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered until macaroni is tender, about 10 minutes. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 231 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Apr 4, 2017
Well earned 5 star review. This soup has everything going for it. The taste is wonderful and it practically makes itself. Hardest thing was opening up the cans. Let it simmer for a longer period of time in order to brig out the best of all of the ingredients. I had no Tomato sauce nor Kidney Beans. Still we enjoyed it just as is * This was my pick for this weeks Recipe Challenge. Into my favorite soup file it goes. I'd recommend this one any day.JanieTaste of Home Volunteer Field Editor.
Nov 14, 2009
Great soup, relly good for a cold winter's day with warm bread and a salad. One needs nothing more. Had several friends over, served this and everyone loved it. Have passed the recipe on to many.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.