VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Toasted sandwich rolls or hot cooked spaghetti
- In a bowl, combine the beef, salt and pepper; mix well. Shape into six patties. Place the flour, eggs and crumbs in three separate shallow bowls. Dredge beef patties in flour; dip into eggs, then coat with bread crumbs.
- In a large skillet, cook patties in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Arrange in a single layer in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top each patty with mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, spaghetti sauce and Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve on rolls or over spaghetti. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Beef Patties in Country Extra May 2003, p51