- 12 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups whole milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional nutmeg, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 4 cups milk; cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°-170°, about 30-35 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring until mixture is cool. (If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth.) Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours.
- To serve, beat cream until soft peaks form. Whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. If desired, sprinkle with additional nutmeg before serving. Yield: about 3-1/2 quarts.
Reviews forHomemade Eggnog
"I've used this recipe for YEARS...It makes almost a ''gallon'' by the time you add the ''Whipping Cream'' (I use an 8 oz. Container of Cool-Whip instead) ... You'll NEVER buy ''store-bought'' Eggnog again... You can add ''Nutmeg'' on top after you've poured it into glasses.. Also, any ''rum or brandy'' you'd like when you serve it...It's nice that it doesn't require 'booze'' in the recipe, it's KID FRIENDLY!! While it's cooking up to ''temperature'', I use a ''RoboStir'', which works great, you don't want the eggs getting lumpy.. IF you don't have this, stirring constantly is required, but if lumps occur, you can always get out the mixer!"
"Must stir while cooking or it goes lumpy/gritty . Good"
"This was so AMAZING! My family loved it, and it tastes better than what we used to buy from the store. The only thing I would do different is add more nutmeg because I love that nutmeg flavor."
"Excellent recipe! Very smooth but would like a little more thickness to the nog. Yields more than I need, so next time think I will half the ingredients."
"THis is VERY good!!!! I can not buy my favorite kind at the store any more so I've been looking for one to replace it... FOUND IT!!!! right here!!! I do wish I knew how to make it just abit thicker but other then that its perfect!!!!"
"I make this eggnog every year for our Christmas open house and everybody LOVES it. A definite keeper recipe!"
"I ve been making this for years. It never fails. So good!"
"Delicious eggnog! Very easy to prepare, and I definitely will be making it again."
"I never liked eggnog until I made this. I do not buy eggnog in the store because nothing tastes like this recipe! Yummy!!"