- 12 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups whole milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional nutmeg, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 4 cups milk; cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°-170°, about 30-35 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring until milk mixture is cool. (If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth.) Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours.
- To serve, beat cream until soft peaks form. Whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. If desired, sprinkle with additional nutmeg before serving. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews forHomemade Eggnog
"We have chickens and love that it uses so many eggs as we have a bounty. Very safe and easy to make. We just use a hand blender to keep it from clumping. Easily gone in two days. Love it!"
"This recipe is done very well. I needed to pour mine through a strainer because I think I got it too hot too fast and there were tiny bits of "scrambled egg" but that was entirely my fault and after I strained it, it was delicious! Perfectly smooth. I convinced a friend (who gagged at the mention of egg nog) and she liked it too!"
"This is absolutely delicious and I feel safe feeding it to my kids! ?? Thank you! A great creamer for coffee too!"
"Delicious my mother used to make this every Christmas morning! Thanks for sharing. I've not had any homemade eggnog in years!"
"Delicious my mother used to make this every Christmas??????! Thanks for sharing. I've not had any homemade eggnog in years!"
"I've used this recipe for YEARS...It makes almost a ''gallon'' by the time you add the ''Whipping Cream'' (I use an 8 oz. Container of Cool-Whip instead) ... You'll NEVER buy ''store-bought'' Eggnog again... You can add ''Nutmeg'' on top after you've poured it into glasses.. Also, any ''rum or brandy'' you'd like when you serve it...It's nice that it doesn't require 'booze'' in the recipe, it's KID FRIENDLY!! While it's cooking up to ''temperature'', I use a ''RoboStir'', which works great, you don't want the eggs getting lumpy.. IF you don't have this, stirring constantly is required, but if lumps occur, you can always get out the mixer!"
"Must stir while cooking or it goes lumpy/gritty . Good"
"This was so AMAZING! My family loved it, and it tastes better than what we used to buy from the store. The only thing I would do different is add more nutmeg because I love that nutmeg flavor."
"Excellent recipe! Very smooth but would like a little more thickness to the nog. Yields more than I need, so next time think I will half the ingredients."