Homemade Egg Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Sesame seeds
- 1. Dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, butter and 3-1/2 cups flour; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. On a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- 3. Punch down. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Divide into six portions. On a floured surface, shape each into a 14-in.-long rope. For each loaf, braid three ropes together on greased baking sheet; pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 135 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Egg Bread
"This bread turned out exactly how I expected and was a hit at my family dinner. It's soft, tender, tastes like "egg bread". I followed the recipe exactly, omitting the seaseme seeds at the end because I didn't have any, but still brushed the glaze before it went in the oven. My guests thought the bread was from a bakery, served it with a homemade lasagna. I will be making this bread again!"
"Absolutely delicious. .. was a big hit here ant home out of the two loafs only half left..."
"This recipe takes a long time to make! It basically tasted like plain bread. I think it needed more sugar, and salt as a topping. The texture was nice. It tasted good with honey. Overall I thought it took too long for how it tasted."
"easy to make, all ingredients on hand, great texture. Makes yummy toast and a great gift!"
"I wouldn't change anything!"