- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, eggs, butter, sugar, salt and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm place until doubled, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into six portions. Roll each into a 14-in.-long rope. For each loaf, braid three ropes together on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Beat together egg yolk and water; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each)
Reviews forHomemade Egg Bread
"This bread turned out exactly how I expected and was a hit at my family dinner. It's soft, tender, tastes like "egg bread". I followed the recipe exactly, omitting the seaseme seeds at the end because I didn't have any, but still brushed the glaze before it went in the oven. My guests thought the bread was from a bakery, served it with a homemade lasagna. I will be making this bread again!"
"Absolutely delicious. .. was a big hit here ant home out of the two loafs only half left..."
"This recipe takes a long time to make! It basically tasted like plain bread. I think it needed more sugar, and salt as a topping. The texture was nice. It tasted good with honey. Overall I thought it took too long for how it tasted."
"easy to make, all ingredients on hand, great texture. Makes yummy toast and a great gift!"
"I wouldn't change anything!"