Homemade Devil's Food Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In the top of a double boiler, combine cocoa and 1 cup sugar. Beat 1 egg; add to double boiler. Add 1 cup milk; cook until thick and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, cream shortening and remaining sugar in a large bowl. Add remaining eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with remaining milk to creamed mixture. Add vanilla and cooled cocoa mixture; beat thoroughly. Pour into two greased 8- or 9-in. round baking pans.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool. Frost with your favorite seven-minute or fudge icing. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 375 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Devil's Food Cake
"What an outstanding recipe! Although I've never used a double boiler as part of the prep for a devil's food cake, I thought the recipe went together easily. The cakes came right out of the pans and were moist and delicious. (In the future though, I will use 9-inch pans instead of 8-inch, since I thought the layers were a little tall.) I made my grandma's cooked flour & milk frosting instead of fudge or seven-minute frosting, which my husband and I really enjoyed. We thought it was the best devil's food cake I've ever made and I'll definitely be making it again!"