Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising, cook: 15 min/batch
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in honey; let stand until bubbles form on surface, about 5 minutes. Add the milk, 2 tablespoon butter and mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Brush griddle and 3-1/2 in. metal rings or open-topped metal cookie cutters with remaining melted butter. Place rings on griddle; heat over low heat. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into each ring.
- Cook until bubbles begin to pop and the top appears dry, about 8. Remove rings. Turn crumpets; cook until the second side is golden brown and crumpet is cooked through, 6-8 minutes longer. Serve warm or let cool on a wire rack and toast before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 crumpet: 157 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Homemade Crumpets in tasteofhome.com
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.