Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising, cook: 15 min/batch
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in honey; let stand until bubbles form on surface, about 5 minutes. Add the milk, 2 tablespoon butter and mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Brush griddle and 3-1/2 in. metal rings or open-topped metal cookie cutters with remaining melted butter. Place rings on griddle; heat over low heat. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into each ring.
- Cook until bubbles begin to pop and the top appears dry, about 8. Remove rings. Turn crumpets; cook until the second side is golden brown and crumpet is cooked through, 6-8 minutes longer. Serve warm or let cool on a wire rack and toast before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 crumpet: 157 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Homemade Crumpets in tasteofhome.com