Homemade Cream-Style Soup Mix
This easy-to-make soup mix is great to have on hand for those nights when you need to whip up supper in a hurry. It's also a great substitute for canned cream soup in a recipe.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 5 min.
Makes8 batches of soup
- 2 cups instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons dried vegetable flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT (FOR EACH BATCH):
- 1-1/3 cups water
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients; cover and process until vegetable flakes are finely chopped. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 3 cups.
- To prepare one batch of soup: In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk water and 6 tablespoons soup mix. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes, whisking occasionally.
Cream-Style Mushroom Soup: Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup sauteed sliced mushrooms to the cooked soup. Cream-Style Celery Soup: Add 1/8 teaspoon celery salt or one sauteed sliced or chopped celery rib to the cooked soup.