Homemade Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Here's a yummy recipe for yeast bread that doesn't require kneading! The cereal in it adds moisture and a slight crunch, and the swirled cinnamon filling looks and tastes good.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup uncooked Malt-O-Meal cereal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, butter, egg, cereal, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; mix until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12x7-in. rectangle. Brush with egg white.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over rectangles. Starting with a short side, roll up tightly and seal edges. Place each in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 120 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 185mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cinnamon Swirl Bread in Country Woman Christmas 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.