- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a mixing bowl, beat water and butter until butter is melted. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the egg mixture. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forHomemade Chocolate Snack Cake
"made this as cupcakes for a pot luck. Used coffee instead of water. easy to make"
"Great cake, made it for the 1st time yesterday, subtitled hot strong coffee for the water, came out very moist and delicious. Is a definite keeper."
"Made it and it was moist and delicious. I added less sugar because my husband prefers it that way and he really enjoyed it. Served it with raspberry syrup and whipped cream. Definitely a keeper !"
"Best ever Snack cake. Very moist and delicious. I use only 3/4 cup of sugar and replace the vanilla extract by almond extract or Maraschino Cherries juice. Served with wipped cream and cherries, it looks like a Black Forest square. Yummy!"
"Good when I'm in a hurry and don't have the time to make something fancy."
"Batter is very thin and doesn't have the best texture once cooked. Okay in a pinch. Certainly doesn't require a lot of unusual ingredients."