Homemade Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Our five kids love having these cookies in their lunch boxes and keep asking when I'll make them again. The recipe comes from a family cookbook that was put together for one of our family reunions.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking or rolled oats
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, cream and vanilla. In another bowl, combine next six ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake until set, 10-15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine cornstarch, cocoa and water in a small saucepan until smooth. Stir in sugar and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 260 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.