Homemade Chocolate Angel Food Cake Recipe
I developed this cake using my mother's angel food cake recipe because my husband and three daughters all love chocolate. It's won first place at our county and state fairs as well as "Best of Class" at the state fair!
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups egg whites (about 16 eggs), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon chocolate flavoring
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ice cream and fudge sauce, optional
- 1. Sift together 1-1/2 cups sugar, flour and cocoa; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla and chocolate flavoring until foamy. Combine cream of tartar, salt and remaining sugar; add a little at a time to mixing bowl. Beat until very stiff but not dry peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture; do not over mix. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and invert pan; allow to cool completely before removing from pan. Serve with ice cream and fudge sauce if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 148 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Chocolate Angel Food Cake
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC