- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 3 cans (5 ounces each) white chicken, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese or cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil; add the chilies, garlic, jalapeno and cumin. Stir in the broth, tomato sauce and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in chicken. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Top with chips and cheese. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forHomemade Chicken Tortilla Soup
"Thank you! This recipe is the best, cozy warm, a little spicy and very flavorfulit is now in my rotation, I have made it about 4 times (so far!)Can't thank you enough for this recipe!"
"This one's a keeper! Made a few adjustments ~ I added more minced garlic and since I didn't have tomato sauce, I used tomato paste and some water. And I used 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes without the garlic and onion and substituted parsley for the cilantro. Because it's so easy to put together it's a great weeknight dinner. I paired it with some jalapeno cheddar muffins and we garnished the soup with sour cream, blue corn chips, shredded cheddar and jalapeno slices. Will definitely make again!"
"pretty good! I didn't have cilantro but it was good."
"Wonderful flavors. Loved how easy it came together."
"easy and delicious. We put cheese and avocado for toppings. Will make again."
"Holy Moly! GREAT recipe. Our family of 4 (two adults, two kids) loved this dish. Even our 5 year old said please make it again. Make sure to use the fresh cilantro, it really adds flavor. Delicious."
"Fantastic delicious we love this soup!"