- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded, skin removed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chilies, garlic, jalapeno and cumin; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Stir in chicken.
Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Top servings with chips and cheese.
- Freeze option: Before adding chips and cheese, cool soup; freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Add chips and cheese before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forHomemade Chicken Tortilla Soup
"Thank you! This recipe is the best, cozy warm, a little spicy and very flavorfulit is now in my rotation, I have made it about 4 times (so far!)Can't thank you enough for this recipe!"
"This one's a keeper! Made a few adjustments ~ I added more minced garlic and since I didn't have tomato sauce, I used tomato paste and some water. And I used 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes without the garlic and onion and substituted parsley for the cilantro. Because it's so easy to put together it's a great weeknight dinner. I paired it with some jalapeno cheddar muffins and we garnished the soup with sour cream, blue corn chips, shredded cheddar and jalapeno slices. Will definitely make again!"
"pretty good! I didn't have cilantro but it was good."
"Wonderful flavors. Loved how easy it came together."
"easy and delicious. We put cheese and avocado for toppings. Will make again."
"Holy Moly! GREAT recipe. Our family of 4 (two adults, two kids) loved this dish. Even our 5 year old said please make it again. Make sure to use the fresh cilantro, it really adds flavor. Delicious."
"Fantastic delicious we love this soup!"