Homemade Chicken Potpie Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (about 10 ounces), thawed
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour and poultry seasoning until blended; gradually whisk in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken and vegetables.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; place pastry sheet over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Bake 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving: 439 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Chicken Potpie
"The poultry seasoning definitely over powered it. I would go with 1/2 a tsp. I lowered the temp to 425 for 30min and it was cooked just right. I also used a bottom crust."
"My family enjoyed this, but I think it was missing something....some extra seasoning maybe. I didn't do quite a full teaspoon of poultry seasoning, but I think it needed something different as well. But it is a great easy, quick chicken pot pie. I covered the crust after the first 10 minutes so it wouldn't burn."
"This recipe got a great approval from my husband! For him, I couldn't add the onion. I used olive oil and skim milk and it tasted wonderful. Filled with chicken and vegetables, this recipe is a keeper!"
"Made this recently when grandchildren were here and everyone loved it! I made my own pastry and seasoned to our taste. Great recipe."
"I recently made this dish for my family from one of your recent one dish meals cookbook i received. It had fewer steps and everyone loved it."
"My husband really liked this recipe. I will cut back on the poultry seasoning. definitely will make again."