Homemade Candy Bars
- 8 ounces Waverly crackers, divided
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1. Place a third of the crackers (about 25) in the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. pan.
- 2. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add the milk, graham cracker crumbs and sugars; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Pour half of the mixture over crackers, carefully spreading to cover. Place half of the remaining crackers (about 25) on top. Spread with remaining sugar mixture. Top with remaining crackers.
- 3. In a small saucepan over low heat, stir peanut butter and chips until melted and smooth. Spread over crackers. Chill until firm, about 1 hour. Cut into small squares.
2 each: 372 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 24, 2017
These are so easy and so good! Great for those days when it's too hot to turn on the oven. Big hit among my family members. In Canada we don't have Waverly crackers but Toppables are the same thing or Keebler Club crackers in the USA. These were a topic of discussion this week among us Volunteer Field Editors when one of the members posted a picture. I just had to try them! Also known as Kit Kat Bars. Try them, you won't be disappointed!
Jun 21, 2017
I've been making these for years, but I guess I never reviewed them! They are awesome, everyone loves them. My husband's work, looks forward to them every year when I make them.
Jun 14, 2016
A family favorite at holidays and for weddings and special occasions from way back! So easy to make.
Dec 31, 1969
I have been making these bars for many years. Every time I have taken them to a get together someone asks for the recipe. I have never put in the butterscotch chips when I make it so I double the chocolate chips. Last time I made them I didn't have graham crackers or peanut butter to use. I just used Waverly crackers in place of the graham crackers. I sprinkled ground peanuts over the chocolate in place of the peanut butter. Good both ways!
Nov 15, 2010
Everyone always asks for this recipe! I make it just as it says.
Jul 7, 2010
Delicious and rich! I have received many requests over the years to make these bars.
Dec 31, 1969
My son Gabe, who is 9, won a blue ribbon at our fair with these tasty treats. Thanks for sharing such a fun recipe!
Dec 31, 1969
Ihave made these bars for years! everyone loves them!