Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
These old-fashioned biscuits from Bonita Coleman of Camarillo, California are simple to make and rich in homemade taste.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-7 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 146 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.