I serve this super dessert often at baseball barbecues or whenever I have a large group in. Homemade brownies and fudge sauce plus ice cream…you can't go wrong! —Carol Brandon, Uxbridge, Ontario
Recommended: 13x9 Potluck Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups butter, cubed
- 32 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 7 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 pound chopped walnuts, optional
- HOT FUDGE SAUCE:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream and maraschino cherries, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat; stir until smooth. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar on low speed until combined. Beat on medium-high until thickened and lemon-colored, about 12 minutes. Beat in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Fold in flour and salt just until blended (batter will be thick). Fold in walnuts if desired.
- Transfer to two greased 13x9-in. baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cream, sugar and butter. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil, without stirring. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Cool for 3 minutes.
- Place cocoa in a heat-proof bowl. Carefully whisk hot liquid into cocoa until smooth (do not scrape pan). Cut brownies into squares; serve with ice cream and hot fudge sauce. Garnish with whipped cream and cherries if desired. Yield: 4 dozen (2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Brownie Sundaes in Taste of Home April/May 2008, p49
Reviews forHomemade Brownie Sundaes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 17, 2009
"The hot fudge sauce is out of this world.A good balance in taste of cream/cocoa."