Homemade Bread Bowls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
Makes8 bread bowls
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into eight pieces; shape each into a ball. Grease two baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place four balls 3 in. apart on each prepared pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- For bread bowls, cut a thin slice off the top of bread. Hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Fill with chili, chowder or stew.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 545 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 623mg sodium, 87g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Apr 28, 2016
I made these recently and they turned out great. My family loved eating their soup out of the edible bowls.
Apr 12, 2015
Okay, but not enough flavor. Will try again with more salt and seasonings
Apr 4, 2013
very goooooood !!! the smell while baking is divine !!
Nov 17, 2011
Simply delicious! Definitely one to make again on a chilly night!
Sep 8, 2011
First time making bread bowls- this recipe is easy and delicious! will be making again!
Apr 9, 2011
I have made these bread bowls several times and my family loves them. They are very similar to the bowls we get at a local deli.