- 1 beef eye round roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 16 small red potatoes (2 pounds), halved
- 4 medium carrots (3/4 pound), halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Coat the roast with 2 tablespoons flour. In a large nonstick skillet, brown roast on all sides in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Add 1-1/2 cups water, wine or broth, bouillon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onions; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove meat and vegetables; keep warm.
- Pour pan juices into a measuring cup; skim fat. In a saucepan, combine remaining flour and water until smooth. Stir in salt and browning sauce if desired. Gradually stir in 2 cups of pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forHome-Style Pot Roast
"This recipe is absolutely delicious, I made it with a hearty red wine and the gravy turned out excellent. The next day I combined all of the leftovers with the gravy and made a hash which was also delicious."