Home-Style Hearty Meat Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 boneless beef chuck steak (1/2 pound), cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons brown gravy mix
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon water, divided
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg
- In a small skillet, brown beef in oil; set aside. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine gravy mix and 1/2 cup water. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. In a large bowl, combine the beef, potato, carrot, onion, parsley, garlic and seasonings; stir in 1 tablespoon gravy. Set aside remaining gravy.
- Place pastry on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spoon meat mixture over half of pastry. Fold pastry over filling and seal edges tightly with a fork; cut slits in the top. Combine egg and remaining water; brush over top.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Warm reserved gravy; serve with pie.
Nutrition Facts1/2 each: 813 calories, 42g fat (16g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 1341mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Nov 24, 2013
I HAVE MADE THIS RECIPE MANY TIMES OVER THE YEARS USING HAMBURGER MEAT. ABSOLUTELY ONE OF MY FAVORITE RECIPES.
Aug 28, 2010
This is a really good recipe that is easy to make. It's nice that I can use just a little gravy and still have great flavor without having a soupy potpie.
Oct 3, 2009
tried it & almost as good as a yooper pastie, good flavor. tideman