Home-Style Hearty Meat Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 boneless beef chuck steak (1/2 pound), cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons brown gravy mix
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon water, divided
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg
- In a small skillet, brown beef in oil; set aside. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine gravy mix and 1/2 cup water. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. In a large bowl, combine the beef, potato, carrot, onion, parsley, garlic and seasonings; stir in 1 tablespoon gravy. Set aside remaining gravy.
- Place pastry on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spoon meat mixture over half of pastry. Fold pastry over filling and seal edges tightly with a fork; cut slits in the top. Combine egg and remaining water; brush over top.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Warm reserved gravy; serve with pie.
Nutrition Facts1/2 each: 813 calories, 42g fat (16g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 1341mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 24, 2013
I HAVE MADE THIS RECIPE MANY TIMES OVER THE YEARS USING HAMBURGER MEAT. ABSOLUTELY ONE OF MY FAVORITE RECIPES.
Aug 28, 2010
This is a really good recipe that is easy to make. It's nice that I can use just a little gravy and still have great flavor without having a soupy potpie.
Oct 3, 2009
tried it & almost as good as a yooper pastie, good flavor. tideman