Home-Style Cran-Raspberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1-1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk, cold water and almond extract; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate; trim even with edge of plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the cranberries, raspberries, 1-1/4 cups sugar, tapioca and extract; stir gently and let stand for 15 minutes. Spoon filling into crust; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 503 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 324mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 12, 2011
I made this pie with 3 1/2 cups of cranberries instead of the 2 1/4, I left out the nuts and I put a crumb crust on the top using 1/2 cup sugar, 3/4 cup flour & 1/3 cup regular margarine. It was gone in a day!! I have made it twice and it doesn't last everyone loved it!!
Dec 8, 2011
I will make this soon--I love almond flavoring. It sounds good. The crust I make is similar to this one. It is the best!!