Home Canning Cake
CT's staff cooked up a fun-filled treat—resembling a canning recipe card! Their creation deliciously began with a rich devil's food cake. To top it off, they prepared colorful fondant and shaped a jam jar, lines and letters. Bring out this confection at your next event, and guests are sure to request the "recipe"—a big piece of dessert!
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon water
- 4-3/4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6-3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Red, green and yellow paste food coloring
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 10 inch square covered board
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; pour into two greased 9-in. square baking pans and two greased muffin cups. Bake the cakes at 350° for 25 minutes and the cupcakes for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and cream. Microwave on high for 30 seconds or until chips are melted; stir until smooth. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until cool. Beat on high speed until soft peaks form. Place one cake on covered board; spread with chocolate mixture. Top with remaining cake.
- In a bowl, whisk water, meringue powder and extract until powder is dissolved. Place confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Add meringue mixture; mix until well blended and a very stiff dough forms, about 1 minute.
- Place 1/4 cup fondant each in two bowls; tint one pink and one green. Place 2 tablespoons in another bowl; tint gold. Place remaining fondant in a bowl; leave white. Cover bowls with plastic wrap when not in use.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons white fondant. On a work surface heavily dusted with confectioners' sugar, roll out remaining white fondant into a 12-in. square. Slide an icing knife between fondant and work surface to loosen; transfer to cake. Smooth sides and corners around cake. Trim any overlapping fondant with a pizza cutter.
- For jar label, shape the reserved white fondant into 2-1/2x1-1/2-in. oval. Shape 1 tablespoon of pink fondant into a 1-3/4x1-in. oval. Place on white oval; set aside.
- For canning jar, cut a thin slice off the top of cupcake. Cut each cupcake in half from top to bottom. Referring to photo at left for position, stack cupcake halves and place cut side down on one side of cake. Shape remaining pink fondant around the three bottom halves; trim. Place label on jar.
- Using a toothpick or thin brush dipped in green food coloring, write "Jam" on the label. For jar lid, shape the gold fondant and place over fourth cupcake; trim. Using a toothpick, press 1/2-in. lines into jar lid.
- Roll out green fondant to 1/8-in. thickness. Using 1-in. alphabet cookie cutters, cut out letters to spell "Recipe". Center near the top of cake. Cut remaining green fondant into 1/8-in.- to 1/4-in. wide strips for recipe card lines. Place on cake next to jar. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Editor's Note: Meringue powder is available from Wilton Industries. Call 1-800/794-5866 or visit www.wilton.com. This cake is best served the day it's decorated.