Holly Wreath Cookies
“My mom passed along the recipe for these crunchy wreath-shaped cookies,” notes Phyllis Rewey, Englewood, Florida. “They look festive dressed up with green and red gumdrops resembling holly leaves and berries.”
Total TimePrep: 1-3/4 hours + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 24 green spice gumdrops
- 16 red spice gumdrops
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, cream of tartar and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds. Divide in half. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to 3/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets; cut out centers using a floured 1-in. round cookie cutter.
- Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Chill and reroll scraps if desired.
- In a bowl, whisk confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth; gently spread over cookies. For holly trim, roll out gumdrops to 1/16-in. thickness; cut two holly leaves from each green gumdrop and nine berries from each red gumdrop. Arrange one leaf and three berries on each cookie.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 127 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as English Wreath Cookies in Country Woman November/December 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.