Holly Wreath Cookies
“My mom passed along the recipe for these crunchy wreath-shaped cookies,” notes Phyllis Rewey, Englewood, Florida. “They look festive dressed up with green and red gumdrops resembling holly leaves and berries.”
Total TimePrep: 1-3/4 hours + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 24 green spice gumdrops
- 16 red spice gumdrops
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, cream of tartar and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds. Divide in half. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to 3/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets; cut out centers using a floured 1-in. round cookie cutter.
- Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Chill and reroll scraps if desired.
- In a bowl, whisk confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth; gently spread over cookies. For holly trim, roll out gumdrops to 1/16-in. thickness; cut two holly leaves from each green gumdrop and nine berries from each red gumdrop. Arrange one leaf and three berries on each cookie.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 127 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.