VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- Dash salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 drops green paste food coloring
- 3 to 5 drops red paste food coloring
- Granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter. Gradually add water, extract, butter flavoring and salt; beat in enough confectioners' sugar on medium speed until dough achieves a stiff putty consistency, about 3 minutes.
- Divide dough into three portions. Knead green food coloring into two portions. Knead red food coloring into remaining portion. For holly leaves, shape teaspoonfuls of dough into balls; roll in granulated sugar. Flatten to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a holly leaf cookie cutter. For holly berries, shape 1/4 teaspoonfuls of dough into balls; roll in granulated sugar. Arrange leaves and berries on serving platter. Store at room temperature. Yield: about 12 dozen (1-3/4 pounds).
Originally published as Holly Butter Mints in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2005, p48
Reviews forHolly Butter Mints
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 2, 2015
"kind of sickly sweet"