Holiday Wild Rice
Wild rice mix gets a boost of seasonal color from red pepper and green onions in this side dish from Diane Dalovisio of Lake Charles, Louisiana. "It's my husband's favorites," she writes.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoon chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2-1/3 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and green onions in oil until tender. Stir in the rice mixes with contents of seasoning packets, water, broth and cayenne. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 99 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Holiday Wild Rice in Quick Cooking November/December 2002