Wild rice mix gets a boost of seasonal color from red pepper and green onions in this side dish from Diane Dalovisio of Lake Charles, Louisiana. "It's my husband's favorites," she writes.
Recommended: 30 Fall Harvest Salads
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoon chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2-1/3 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and green onions in oil until tender. Stir in the rice mixes with contents of seasoning packets, water, broth and cayenne. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Holiday Wild Rice in Quick Cooking November/December 2002, p36