Holiday Walnut Torte
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts, divided
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, walnuts, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture. Beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir preserves and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Set aside 1/2 cup. Brush remaining glaze over cake tops.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Spread 1/2 cup frosting over one cake; top with second cake and 3/4 cup frosting. Sprinkle 1/2 cup walnuts over the top.
- Brush reserved glaze over sides of cake; press remaining walnuts onto sides. Pipe remaining frosting around top edge of cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 580 calories, 30g fat (14g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 19, 2011
Just made this today It is soo good and easy to make as well.. My family absolutely loved it..
Mar 2, 2009
I haven't tried it yet but it sounds delicious. Being diabetic I will of course cut back on the sugar or use Splenda. The heavy cream will make it yummy as will the apricot glaze. Thanks.
Mar 2, 2009
The cake is much to dry and the frosting is way to sweet!