Holiday Turkey Gravy
I make this recipe a day ahead so I can get the food on the table faster on the big day. The aroma while this cooks permeates the whole house and gets everyone ready for the feast. I save the turkey meat and use it in recipes that call for cooked turkey or chicken. —Isabelle Rooney, Summerville, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2 turkey wings, halved (about 3 pounds)
- 2 medium onions, halved
- 1 cup water
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place turkey wings and onions in a roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, until well browned, about 1 hour. Transfer wings and onions to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water to pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Add to slow cooker. Stir in 6 cups broth, carrots and thyme. Cook, covered, on low 4 hours.
- Remove wings; discard or save for another use. Strain and discard vegetables from turkey stock; skim fat. In a 6-qt. stockpot, melt butter over medium-low heat; whisk in flour, pepper and remaining broth until smooth. Slowly whisk in stock; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer and stir until gravy reaches desired consistency.