Holiday Thanksgiving Stuffing
This nicely seasoned stuffing is our favorite for holiday turkeys. The classic recipe tastes good whether stuffed in the bird or baked separately, and it's versatile, too—you can add other ingredients to vary the flavor.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 3 hours + standing
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-1/3 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2-1/4 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound day-old bread, cubed
- In a large skillet, saute onions and celery in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a large bowl; add the broth, parsley, sage, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper. Gently stir in bread cubes until mixed.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish (dish will be full). Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Editor’s Note: This recipe may also be used to stuff a 12- to 14-pound turkey. Bake until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing. Hazelnut-Sausage Stuffing: Omit 1 onion and 2 celery ribs. Stir 1/2 pound cooked and drained bulk pork sausage and 3/4 cup toasted hazelnuts into the stuffing mixture. Proceed as directed. Yield: 10 cups. Mushroom Stuffing: Omit 1 onion. Saute 1 pound chopped fresh mushrooms with onion and celery. Proceed as directed. Yield: 10 cups. No-Fuss Stuffing: Substitute 1 package (14 ounces) unseasoned stuffing cubes for the bread cubes and decrease broth to 2 cups. Proceed as directed. Yield: 9 cups. Pecan-Cranberry Stuffing: Decrease broth to 2 cups and add 1-1/3 cups orange juice. Stir 1 cup dried cranberries and 1 cup chopped pecans into the stuffing mixture. Proceed as directed. Yield: 10 cups.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 164 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 775mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Thanksgiving Stuffing in The Taste of Home Cookbook 3rd Edition
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.