The sweet potatoes, apples and pecans used in this dish are all grown here in southern Arizona. In the fall, we like to visit the pecan groves and pick up the "leavings" after the pickers have gone through.
Recommended: 19 Side Dishes Made in a 13x9 Pan
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 large sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and sliced, divided
- 3 large apples, peeled and sliced, divided
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Layer half of the sweet potatoes and half of the apples in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Repeat layers. Combine brown sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle on top. Dot with butter. Pour cider over all. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Sprinkle with pecans just before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Holiday Sweet Potatoes in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p45