My family loves regular potato skins, but I thought I would try something with sweet potatoes instead. Although we usually enjoy them as a snack, the change-of-pace appetizers make an excellent side dish. —Deborah Puette, Lilburn, Georgia
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- Sour cream
- Scrub and pierce sweet potatoes. Microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until almost tender. When cool enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise into 4 wedges.
- Place a 28x18-in. piece of heavy-duty foil on a large baking sheet. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on foil. Brush with butter; sprinkle with salt and drizzle with honey. Top with a second large piece of foil. Bring edges of foil together; crimp to seal, forming a large domed packet.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or just until fork tender. Carefully uncover; sprinkle with green onions. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon, cranberries and cheese. Broil 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Holiday Sweet Potato Skins in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p48