Holiday Star Cookies
These lovely treats are both a cookie and a candy. A melted hard-candy center looks like stained glass surrounded by a frosted cutout cookie.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Assorted colors of Jolly Rancher hard candies
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon water
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Assorted colors of paste food coloring
- White edible glitter
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Divide into three portions; cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Roll out one portion between two pieces of parchment paper to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 5-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Cut out centers with a floured 2-1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place larger cutouts 2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough; reroll small cutouts if desired.
- Place the same color of hard candies in small resealable plastic bags; crush candies. Sprinkle in center of each. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2-3 minutes or until candies are set before carefully removing to wire racks.
- In a small bowl, beat meringue powder and water until soft peaks form. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar. Tint icing to match the selected candies. Decorate cookies with icing; sprinkle with edible glitter.
Editor's NoteMeringue powder is available from Wilton Industries. Call 800-794-5866 or visit wilton.com.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.