Holiday Sour Cream Rings Recipe
These delicious sour cream rings have become part of our traditional Christmas breakfast. But my family and friends love the sweet flavor so much, I find myself making throughout the year as well.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup each raisins, chopped candied pineapple and chopped candied cherries
- 1 tablespoon brandy or orange juice
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 6 teaspoons orange juice
- Whole candied cherries
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add eggs, sour cream, sugar, butter, salt, mace, cardamom and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile combine raisins, pineapple, cherries and brandy or orange juice; mix well and set aside. Punch dough down. Pat into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with fruit. Fold over and knead lightly to distribute fruit. Divide dough into sixths. Roll each portion into a 16-in. rope. Place two ropes on a greased baking sheet. Intertwine them seven to eight times, joining ends to form a ring. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes. Combine confectioners' sugar and orange juice; spread over rings. Decorate with candied cherries. Yield: 3 loaves.
1 slice: 205 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Holiday Sour Cream Rings
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC