Holiday Sour Cream Rings
These delicious sour cream rings have become part of our traditional Christmas breakfast. But my family and friends love the sweet flavor so much, I find myself making throughout the year as well.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup each raisins, chopped candied pineapple and chopped candied cherries
- 1 tablespoon brandy or orange juice
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 6 teaspoons orange juice
- Whole candied cherries
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add eggs, sour cream, sugar, butter, salt, mace, cardamom and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile combine raisins, pineapple, cherries and brandy or orange juice; mix well and set aside. Punch dough down. Pat into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with fruit. Fold over and knead lightly to distribute fruit. Divide dough into sixths. Roll each portion into a 16-in. rope. Place two ropes on a greased baking sheet. Intertwine them seven to eight times, joining ends to form a ring. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes. Combine confectioners' sugar and orange juice; spread over rings. Decorate with candied cherries.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 205 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Holiday Sour Cream Rings in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook