Holiday Pumpkin Bread
This recipe has been in my family for about 30 years. We are not big pumpkin eaters, but no one turns down a slice of this bread.—Gale Spross, Wills Point, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, oil and vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans.
- Spoon into two greased and floured 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 283 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Holiday Pumpkin Bread in Light & Tasty October/November 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.