Holiday Pork Roast with Ginger Gravy
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour 40 min. + standing
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup apple jelly
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Place pork roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Combine the ginger, garlic, sage and salt; rub over meat. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.
- Combine jelly and pepper sauce; brush over roast. Arrange carrots and onions around roast. Pour 1/2 cup water into pan. Bake 40-50 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 145°. Remove roast to a serving platter; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Skim fat from pan drippings. Transfer drippings and vegetables to a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan. Add browning sauce if desired and remaining water; heat through. Slice roast; serve with gravy.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 204 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 84mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Feb 9, 2013
this recipe is good with chicken wings
Dec 12, 2012
Will definitely make this again. But, didn't use the sage; we don't like sage. It was delicious!
Dec 31, 2011
This is a very good recipe. It helps to read all the words in a recipe. 2 carrots are plenty for what they are used for.
Dec 30, 2011
I will definitely not make this again. No one liked it and it probably was the sage in combination with the other ingredients.
Dec 30, 2011
Very good...but I recommend more carrots. 2 medium carrots will not feed 16 people.
Dec 29, 2011
this was so tender and tasty!! made wonderful sandwiches later also...will definately make this again..